10 Suggestions for Improving Our Self and Our Self-Esteem
We must each work to . . .
- Develop a love and trust for others --- Take it for granted that other people love and trust you. It then makes it easy to do the same for them.
- Take life's disappointments in stride --- Just because a person fails, it does not make that person a failure. We must accept our own shortcomings. Everyone has them.
- Take time for yourself --- Set aside an hour or day when you do something just for you. Read a book, set a goal, paint a picture, run a race. Learn to enjoy your own company.
- Solve your problems as they arise --- Take control of your life. Accept responsibility and shape your own environment. Plan ahead but do not fear the future. Be prepared to deal with most situations that come your way.
- Respect what you really are --- You are unique. Be yourself. There is no one like you in the entire world. Be proud of who you are. Discover and appreciate your own special talents.
- Feel a sense of responsibility for your neighbors --- Reach out to others. Don't push other people around. Respect the many difference you find in people. Extend your help to those who are hard to love. Offer regular and sincere compliments.
- Control your negative emotions --- Don't let fear, anger, worry, jealousy, guilt and controlling love prevent you from developing a positive, easy-going attitude toward yourself and others.
- Accept praise with appreciation --- Take pride in your achievements. Accept all compliments with "Thank you." Remember your successful experiences are yours alone. Enjoy them!
- Have a goal for self-development --- Branch out. Find new ways to grow and change. Learn new skills or hobbies. Attend lectures and workshops. Read. Talk to happy people.
- Put your best effort into whatever you do --- Find satisfaction and success in going the extra mile. Help others do the same. Become competent in your chosen profession or responsibilities. Do more than is expected. Run the race hard and smart. Set your own internal standards. Never compare yourself with others.
May each one of us remember it is important to say to ourselves