a "been-there" mom of six offers encouragement
to wives, young mothers, and those not so young,
and simple common-sense approaches to
the "ings" of life:
child-rearing (hints and helps), homemaking (all areas),
cooking (simple, cheap, and do-it-yourself)
making (toys and gifts), preparing (for the unexpected),
maintaining (sanity and peace in this increasingly crazy world) and more---
all aspects of making the most of making do on little---
and having fun in the process.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Child's Seven Basic Needs . . . a reminder

LOVE
  • Show him with your hands
  • Tell him with a pleasant voice
  • Show him with a smile
  • Tell him with kind words
  • Show him by your actions

                ACCEPTANCE
  • Accept him for who he is
  • When he starts doing little chores, don't automatically redo them when they aren't up to your expectations
  • Do not be criticize
  • Over time, as he grows, gently work to help him do better
  • NEVER compare one child with another

        SECURITY

  • Begin early, give him as many new experiences as possible                                                    
  • Praise and compliment your child when he earns it
  • Never shame your child
  • Prepare your child when he has to face                             something new or strange (like going to the dentist
  • Be consistent 
  • Do not overprotect 


       CONTROL                                                            
    Be a good example
    Work on teaching  "self-control"
    Set limits early (and be consistent)
    Use when not if (if is a bribe)
    Be firm but never harsh
    Tell your child "why"
    Understand your child's feelings
    Unless it is a dangerous situation, let him experience the consequences of his actions (no matter how hard it is to "save" him---which keeps him from learning)


    GUIDANCE

    • Show your child things (what is safe and not safe, what he can touch, squeeze, or throw)
    • Understand that your child is not grown up
    • Give him a five minute "heads-up" when it is time to change activities (dinner, bedtime, clean-up, etc)
    • Let him have some freedom
    • Encourage lots of play
    • Encourage him to share with others
    • Teach him that his "wants" do not always come first


    INDEPENDENCE

    • Let him do things for himself
    • Give him things to do
    • Teach him about work
    • Encourage him to finish a task
    • Let him make a choice between two things when possible


    RESPECT FOR OTHERS
    • Talk about your concern for someone who is in need
    • Teach (and remind) him that it hurts to be called names
    • Teach your child that it is good to help others
    • Encourage him to be polite
    • Teach him to wait his turn
    • Teach him not to interrupt
    Above adapted from a handout in the days of typewriters and mimeographs. Original author unknown.

    It is very important for each of us --- whether parent or child ---no matter who we are or where we are, to remember that we are each a precious child of our Father in Heaven who wants the very best for each of us.

    I am a child of God, and He has sent me here,
    Has given me an earthly home with parents kind and dear.


    I am a child of God, and so my needs are great;
    Help me to understand His words before it grows too late.


    I am a child of God. Rich blessings are in store;
    If I but learn to do His will I'll live with him once more.


    Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way.
    Teach me all that I must do to live with Him someday.


    Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way
    Teach me all that I must do to live with Him someday.
                                                                   Naomi W. Randall






    No comments: