a "been-there" mom of six offers encouragement
to wives, young mothers, and those not so young,
and simple common-sense approaches to
the "ings" of life:
child-rearing (hints and helps), homemaking (all areas),
cooking (simple, cheap, and do-it-yourself)
making (toys and gifts), preparing (for the unexpected),
maintaining (sanity and peace in this increasingly crazy world) and more---
all aspects of making the most of making do on little---
and having fun in the process.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

"Lofty" Freeze 'n Bake Sugar Cookies

I have been scouting around for sugar cookies for an upcoming activity. I found a few store-bought ones that would do (especially the "Lofthouse" ones, but I could not bring myself to pay a minimum of 39 cents per cookie. Plus I like homemade!
Thanks to "photo by loff"" since I didn't have a photograph. Naturally, I used more frosting. I think "Lofthouse" sprinkles are traditionally the "rod" type, but I used the same as above. When I was looking for a photo for this post I discovered several copy-cat "Lofthouse" cookie recipes. They are probably all very good but this one has one big additional advantage-----

One mess to clean up and four batches of fresh-baked cookies whenever you want them.


In one of my old and falling apart cook books, "More Make-A-Mix Cookery," I found not only the perfect solution---but one that we (the four-tasters) all agreed tasted like Lofthouse cookies! With an additional plus, the dough is made ahead and frozen----giving you make-ahead convenience and fresh-baked results.

Following the original recipe is what I did to make the larger, thicker, "lofty" type.

Food for Thought: A roll of frozen dough, along with the baking instructions, also makes a welcome gift when you need something spur-of-the moment.

Slice and Bake Sugar Cookies
recipe makes approximately 12 dozen cookies

2 cups butter or margarine, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon flavoring
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda

In a large bowl, cream butter or margarine and sugar. Beat in eggs, and flavorings until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl combine flour and baking soda. Gradually stir flour mixture into egg mixture until blended.

Divide dough into four pieces. Shape each piece into an 8" to 10" roll. Wrap each roll in one piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap. Place wrapped rolls in a plastic freezer container with a tight-fitting lid, or wrap each air-tight in a piece of heavy-duty foil. Label. Store in freezer. Use within six months.

Makes four rolls of about 36 cookies each.

To bake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheet(s). Cut frozen dough into 1/4 inch slices and place about 1/2 inch apart. Sprinkle slices lightly with granulated sugar, if desired. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until edges start to brown. Remove cookies and cool on wire racks.

Turning good cookies into Lofty ones!

Instead of making four rolls of dough I made two fat ones.  When it was time to bake them, because of their thickness, I had to let them thaw slightly until the knife would cut through. I cut the roll into about 3/4 inch slices and placed them 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. I did not sprinkle with the granulated sugar and I had to bake them longer. Watch carefully---You don't want them to be crispy-done. Cool on cookie sheets for three or four minutes and transfer to wire racks to finish cooling.

Frost generously with a butter-cream frosting and top with sprinkles (the Lofthouse signature!).

'til we eat again,
           Simply, Gail

No comments: