a "been-there" mom of six offers encouragement
to wives, young mothers, and those not so young,
and simple common-sense approaches to
the "ings" of life:
child-rearing (hints and helps), homemaking (all areas),
cooking (simple, cheap, and do-it-yourself)
making (toys and gifts), preparing (for the unexpected),
maintaining (sanity and peace in this increasingly crazy world) and more---
all aspects of making the most of making do on little---
and having fun in the process.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Simple Rocking Horse Cake to make.

Yesterday I posted the directions for making a Teddy Bear cake without a special pan.

Today it's a Rocking Horse cut from one 9x13 cake.

They are fun and simple to make.

This Hobby Horse cake is simply covered in fluffy white
frosting, sprinkled with coconut and dotted with
colored Life Saver candies.
 Note: If this cake was for a very young child I think M&M's or a softer candy                                            would be safer than the hard candies shown in the above photo.

A long, long time ago
I made a cake like this for Heidi's first birthday. 
This was the first time she had tasted cake                    
 (or cookies or anything sweet for that matter) 
so we weren't sure what her reaction would be.


  1. Cover a board or heavy cardboard (slightly larger than the finished cake will be) with aluminum foil.
  2. Bake a cake of your choice in a 9x13 inch cake pan.
  3. Remove from pan and let cool completely.
  4. Follow cutting directions   


Assemble cake on board using illustration above as your guide.

The saddle was made with a small amount of colored frosting. The reins are licorice strings.




All Gone!

'til we eat again,
          Simply, Gail

2 comments:

Nolo Facere Insipida said...

Hello,

Thanks for posting this image online. Back in march of 1981, my mother made this cake for my father's birthday.

Right now I am in the middle of recreating a photograph from that day, in which the cake has a role. My mother lost the book that the pattern came from so we were going to have to try and make it from memory. I did an image search through Google and came up with your black and white image of the cake and your pattern.

We are going to make the cake tomorrow. I am excited, but probably not as much as my mom. I'll document the process and blog it a bit later.

Thanks for posting this.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! My daughter is turing FORTY-SIX and has asked for this cake every year for a long time. I lost the old Pillsbury pattern and this is a lifesaver for her birthday this week!