a "been-there" mom of six offers encouragement
to wives, young mothers, and those not so young,
and simple common-sense approaches to
the "ings" of life:
child-rearing (hints and helps), homemaking (all areas),
cooking (simple, cheap, and do-it-yourself)
making (toys and gifts), preparing (for the unexpected),
maintaining (sanity and peace in this increasingly crazy world) and more---
all aspects of making the most of making do on little---
and having fun in the process.

Friday, March 16, 2012

Barbecues and Bugs!

What do these have in common?



Barbecues come in many shapes and 
sizes and use different types of fuel---



Bugs come in many  shapes and sizes and use US for fuel!


Our small community publishes a newsy newsletter monthly. In preparation for spring and summer --- and all this includes --- two handy hints have been included in recent editions that I would like to share.

I haven't had the chance to personally try
them yet but the sources are usually reliable.

MOSQUITOES BEWARE


Original hint from an unknown source:   "I was at a deck party awhile back and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared. The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area, and the standing water nearby. During the summer, I don't leave home without it!"

Our resident's comments: "I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors. It works -- in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it cost me $1.89. It really doesn't take much, and it is in a big bottle, so it is not as expensive to use as the can of bug-spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes ...this will last a couple of days...and is EARTH-FRIENDLY TOO!!! Do not spray directly on a wood door, but spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames, and even inside the dog house."

Simplify cleaning the grill of your charcoal barbecue: 

Mix 1/2 cup of a liquid cleaner with 1 gallon of water and pour it into a heavy duty plastic garbage gab. Immerse the grill in the a bag, secure the bag with a twist tie, and allow the grill to soak overnight. The next day, simply brush away the burnt on soil, rinse, and it is ready [for you to start "gunking" it up again!]

2 comments:

teddy bear said...

A very nice informational blog.Keep on making such important blog post.Your work is really being appreciated by some one.

Simply, Gail said...

Thank you Teddy Bear,

I am really pleased you find my
blog helpful.