a "been-there" mom of six offers encouragement
to wives, young mothers, and those not so young,
and simple common-sense approaches to
the "ings" of life:
child-rearing (hints and helps), homemaking (all areas),
cooking (simple, cheap, and do-it-yourself)
making (toys and gifts), preparing (for the unexpected),
maintaining (sanity and peace in this increasingly crazy world) and more---
all aspects of making the most of making do on little---
and having fun in the process.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Hi! I'm Simply Gail: the Creative Cheapskate and. . .

the new kid on the blog


First, an admission. I am using the word kid very loosely. For now, we’ll just say that I learned to type, and then did so for many years, on a typewriter that did not plug in, nor rely on batteries or any other power source. Your fingers not only did the walking, they did it all!

It was called a manual typewriter and this was it’s font.


This is my first post on my first* blog. 


If you haven't read "About Me" I'd like you to do so before you continue. Then what I say next won’t be like you coming in, and trying to catch up, 10 minutes after the movie started.


Second, a disclaimer, and an apology. Misters Strunk (Jr.)and White first published The Elements of Style when I was a junior in high school. I never read the book and if I had, by this age I have forgotten more than I ever knew.


I went through the journalism ranks, clear to the top, in high school and made it to associate editor in junior college before I got married and dropped out.


I apologize in advance to the grammatically obsessed who may read this. If I say so myself I don’t too badly even though I never mastered, nor even understood the concept of, sentence diagramming. And I love ----‘s and ....’s and not only overuse them but use them whenever I feel like it, without a qualm of correctness. It drives Dave, my English-major husband, a wee bit crazy.


Our home and the world were and still are, my classroom. My "assignments" on life were published in two weekly newspapers in the Mid-West for three years and monthly in a Las Vegas family magazine(is that an oxymoron or what?) for about six years.


My how-to labs were conducted in community education classes in schools,a hospital,libraries and women’s church groups.


I am a slow learner so my education still continues. I hope I can share what I have learned and hope you will share with me.


I hope you'll sign on and check in. I am...

Simply, Gail


*actually this was the first post on my earlier blog (2coatsofpaint.blogspot.com). I changed the title and URL  8/18/2011 to try to more obviously reflect who I am and what I am about. That also explains why there are so many posts for 8/18---I was transferring them over. I am still Simply, Gail. If you have any questions or comments please contact me at davengail@infowest.com.

2 comments:

Norm and Heather said...

Hey Gail,
This is great! I LOVE you style, --- and .... are great and I over use them too! ( And end sentences with a preposition on occasion!) I am looking forward to reading all of your posts -- thanks for the great evening last night! I also over use the !!!!

Norm and Heather said...

Hey Gail,
This is great! I LOVE you style, --- and .... are great and I over use them too! ( And end sentences with a preposition on occasion!) I am looking forward to reading all of your posts -- thanks for the great evening last night! I also over use the !!!!