We made them ourselves --- and so can you!
TEDDY BEAR -- whose tilt-ee head and cocky grin is just the look you gave to him
- Cover a board or heavy cardboard, a little larger than your finished cake will be, with aluminum foil.
- Make cake mix or favorite recipe (for two layers) as desired,dividing batter into one 9-inch square pan and one 8-inch round pan.
- Bake as directed, and after removing from pans, let cool completely.
- Place on covered board as shown on the left below.
- Cut strip, one-inch from edge, down each side of square cake, and cut each strip into 4 equal pieces.
- Using frosting of your choice, "glue" the pieces as shown in the illustration on the right to make the legs.
- Frost the cake with chocolate frosting.
- The bear in the photo is topped with white and chocolate* coconut. I have usually skipped the coconut used white and chocolate frosting instead.
- Half of a marshmallow is "glued" to each leg to make paws.
- Use candies and licorice strings to make the claws and mouth. You can also use frosting for these.
*To make chocolate coconut:
- Melt 3 squares semisweet chocolate over low heat. Stir in 1 T shortening. Stir in 2 cups shredded coconut. Spread on wax-paper-lined cookie sheet. Let harden.
'til we eat again,