a "been-there" mom of six offers encouragement
to wives, young mothers, and those not so young,
and simple common-sense approaches to
the "ings" of life:
child-rearing (hints and helps), homemaking (all areas),
cooking (simple, cheap, and do-it-yourself)
making (toys and gifts), preparing (for the unexpected),
maintaining (sanity and peace in this increasingly crazy world) and more---
all aspects of making the most of making do on little---
and having fun in the process.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Say Yes!!! to this Skinny Dessert

I really relate to this cartoon because years ago, between Independence and Blue Springs, Missouri on Highway 40, there was a gas station where the pumps were covered in a shiny silver reflective metal just like a mirror----except, unlike my mirrors, it reduced my reflection----my size proportionally!!! I have no idea how that was accomplished but I know the manufacturer would have made a fortune if they realized what they had accomplished. They locked in my business because as I pumped the gas I could see my high school shape! Pumping gas was never before, nor has it ever since, been so rewarding!


I was recently searching allrecipes.com (my favorite recipe go-to-site) for a simple mousse recipe. Many of them sounded great, but none sounded this simple. It was rated 4 out of 5 stars so that was pretty good.  The recipe contributor was Eagle Brand.

One of my favorite things about all-recipes is the addition of comments from those who have tried the recipe. Reading what others say, or recommend, is usually very helpful. This time I hit the jackpot!

Two readers changed the original recipe, by using all non-fat/non-sugar products and swore you could not taste the difference. I had my doubts but figured it wouldn't hurt to give the almost no-calorie, no fat version the first try.

Wow! Rich, creamy, rich----no funny aftertaste, no pudding taste----just rich and creamy. I could say almost decadent but I don't want to exaggerate.  

You can go the full-artery-clogger version at 382 calories and 16.5 grams of fat per serving if you want, but I can't imagine it would be any better. Definitely, not that much better. 

I thank Eagle Brand for their recipe but I used all off-brands with total success and great cost savings.

Skinny Mousse
60 calories and zero fat (one reader calculated it to be one Weight Watcher point---her favorite number!)

1 (14 ounce can) no-fat sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
1 cup cold water
1 (4-serving size) sugar-free chocolate instant pudding mix
1 (8 ounce carton) sugar-free frozen whipped topping, thawed

In large bowl, combine condensed milk and water. Add pudding mix. Beat well. Chill 5 to 10 minutes. Fold in whipped topping. Spoon into serving dishes. Chill. Garnish if desired. Store leftovers, covered, in refrigerator. 

Makes 8 servings (it is so rich this is the first time I have ever found a half-cup serving of anything to be enough at one time!) 

A third person commented  she has used several different flavors of pudding and white chocolate is her favorite. (I hurried out and bought a box.) She also said the mousse made a great filling for cakes. I tried it with a fudge cake!!! The seven people we shared the cake with agreed with her.

And I am thinking what a combination with diet-friendly angel food!

'til we eat again,
Simply, Gail







No comments: