If an emergency lasted for three days (72 hours) before help was available to you and your family (in your own home) -----
- Would you have sufficient food?
- Would you have the means to cook food without gas and electricity?
- Would you have sufficient water for drinking, cooking and sanitary needs?
- Do you have access to a 72-hour evacuation kit?
- Would you be able to carry or transport these kits?
- Have you established an out-of-state contact?
- Do you have first aid kit in your home and in each car?
- Do you have work gloves and some tools for minor rescue and clean up?
- Do you have emergency cash on hand? (during emergencies banks and ATMs are closed)
- Without electricity and gas do you have a way to heat at least part of your house?
- If you need medications, do you have a month's supply on hand?
- Do you have a plan for toilet facilities if there is an extended water shortage?
- Do you have a supply of food, clothing, and fuel where appropriate: for 6 months? for a year?
These are all questions that need answers if you are to be safe and as comfortable as possible in an emergency. If you answered 'No' to any of them, its now time to work on getting those items handled.
from One Heart, Inc.