a "been-there" mom of six offers encouragement
to wives, young mothers, and those not so young,
and simple common-sense approaches to
the "ings" of life:
child-rearing (hints and helps), homemaking (all areas),
cooking (simple, cheap, and do-it-yourself)
making (toys and gifts), preparing (for the unexpected),
maintaining (sanity and peace in this increasingly crazy world) and more---
all aspects of making the most of making do on little---
and having fun in the process.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Another Version of When I am Old. . .

There are a variety of poems that address the basic theme of When I am Old I will wear a purple dress and a red hat and learn to spit and do as I wish. Since I am probably officially old, here is the Simply, Gail version.

I am a mature woman and I can do as I please (mostly)
I can wear colors that don't quite match and shoes that are comfortable, rather than stylish.
I can do somewhat odd things, maybe even outlandish
Like eat cookies for breakfast and breakfast for dinner
And read all night if I wish -- and then sleep all the next day.

I can plant plastic flowers in my garden beds and people them with clay critters
And eat microwave meals at home or enjoy senior discounts out
I have time to read the entire newspaper without interruption and clip articles to send
     to my kids (who have no time to read them).

My time is more free than it used to be
And I will use it as it suits me (usually)
There is less to do and I've more time to do it
But I'm so slow this new math doesn't add up.

I've been there and done that and need no more stuff
New crafts and dust catchers are a thing of my past
I can attend Enrichment Night and feel I get all the enrichment
     I need simply by visiting with my friends
But maybe I'll quilt or help others learn the things I have already learned.

I have done my growing but does a mature plant ever stop giving
It continues to give of itself---the strength it develops, the roots it sinks deep
     makes it ever more valuable.

I have found peace within myself, and confidence and know-how and how-to
     through the years (even if just a little)
I can be as the plant giving my growth and my gain to nourish and enrich those that
     are struggling along the same paths I've already trod.

I can punch the buttons of my many time-and-labor saving devices with the best of
     the young (and I love them---both the devices and the young)                                                                                                                                                            
But I also know how to do and make do without these conveniences (while many do not)
And we are told the time will come when we will need to know how to do these things again.
 
The years have taught me much and I have much I can give----
If I will.

No comments: