a "been-there" mom of six offers encouragement
to wives, young mothers, and those not so young,
and simple common-sense approaches to
the "ings" of life:
child-rearing (hints and helps), homemaking (all areas),
cooking (simple, cheap, and do-it-yourself)
making (toys and gifts), preparing (for the unexpected),
maintaining (sanity and peace in this increasingly crazy world) and more---
all aspects of making the most of making do on little---
and having fun in the process.

Friday, January 31, 2014

Simple and Scrumptous Meringue Cookies

Dave's Mom Jennie was famous  for her "white cookies" ---- not only among family members, but in her neighborhood. They were also a frequently sought after confection for the wedding receptions of friends' children.

It amazes me how I could have, over the years, forgotten something so yummy and so simple. I remembered them this past week when we were attending a get-together where some of the attendees were on gluten-free diets.  They were a hit!!!!


Puffs of chip-filled meringues are heavenly

Along with my three- ingredient peanut butter quickies,  they top the charts for ease.

The ingredients: 
3 egg whites, 3/4 cup white sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla and one heaping cup chocolate chips. 

The directions: Turn the oven on to 350 degrees. Cover a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and set aside.

Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the sugar, about one-third at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. 

Fold in the vanilla and chocolate chips. Drop by  teaspoon "fulls" onto prepared pan.  They do not spread so you can space them close together. 

Turn Oven OFF. and immediately place cookie sheet on the middle rack of oven.  Leave them (without opening the oven door) for at least 45 minutes. They should be dry to the touch (unless you live where it is humid -- they will be chewy rather than "crunchy" but still good). 

Let cool completely before removing from pan.  Makes about 36.

Just because I thought it was simple enough that even I could do it, I figured out the calorie count.  If I am correct it is 17-1/2 calories per cookie. That makes them even better!

Hints and Helps:
This was the first time I have made them with a stand mixer.  I couldn't imagine a 6-quart bowl would do anything with only 3 egg whites but boy, was I wrong! The whisk whipped them up in no time and then on low, folded in the flavoring and chips!  It was a breeze. 

Make sure your utensils are completely free from any grease or oil residue because even a teeny bit will keep the whites from peaking.

The same is true if even a teeny bit of egg yolk is in with the whites.*

You can vary the flavorings and flavors of chips.  We also love orange and mint.  Other ingredients can be added if desired.  Tinting the beaten whites with a couple of drops of  regular food coloring is also great. It is fun to experiment.



* I was sure I shared this trick on my blog before but I couldn't locate it so I went Google-searching again.  There are several sites explaining/demonstrating this method but this is the first one I came across.  It is worth watching. Even though most of us won't understand a word she is saying, the video "says" it all. I, along with several others now have a designated "squeezable" egg separator bottle.

http://www.thekitchn.com/the-best-trick-weve-seen-to-separate-eggs-video-176095

'til we eat again,
      I am Simply, Gail

P.S. The 3-ingredient peanut butter quickie cookie is listed in the cookbook on the right side of the blog, under what else . . . cookie: peanut butter quickie


No comments: