|All packed up and ready to hit the road for a week-end or a week or more?|
Consider the following before you walk out the door!
- If it uses water, turn off the supply
- It if uses energy, turn it down, turn it up or turn it off.
- If it burns fuel, remove the ignition source.
- Turn down the furnace --- or turn up the air conditioner thermostat.
- Lower the water heater temperature setting.
- Turn off all washing machine water hoses and sink/toilet water leads.
- Unplug all electronics and appliances.
- Make sure a trusted neighbor has phone numbers to contact you in case of emergency.
- Have a neighbor pick up your newspapers and mail --- or have them temporarily stopped.
- Leave a car parked in the driveway if possible.
- Arrange to have appropriate yard maintenance continued, depending on the season --- lawn mowed, snow cleared, etc.
And a Couple of Do Not's
- Hide a house key in an obvious location. Even amateurs know most of the favorites -- under mats, in flower pots, inside fake rocks, etc.
- Change your answering machine message to proudly announce your trip (no matter how terrific it is) or to explain why you will not be returning calls.
Now that you have added these simple safety precautions for your home in your absence have a wonderful and safe trip. Increase your safety by wearing your seat belts and avoid talking or texting while driving.