a "been-there" mom of six offers encouragement
to wives, young mothers, and those not so young,
and simple common-sense approaches to
the "ings" of life:
child-rearing (hints and helps), homemaking (all areas),
cooking (simple, cheap, and do-it-yourself)
making (toys and gifts), preparing (for the unexpected),
maintaining (sanity and peace in this increasingly crazy world) and more---
all aspects of making the most of making do on little---
and having fun in the process.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Mother's Day Tribute to Our First Born

On Mother's Day, 48 years ago, I was nearing the birth of our first child.  It was an exciting time for Dave and I. . .even though neither of us had a clue as to what parenthood was all about.

Three months later we decided we wanted another, thinking that a one-year-old was "grownup."  (As I have admitted before, Dave and I are both the youngest in our respective families---hence the clue-less-ness!)

On Mother's Day, 47 years ago, I was approaching the due date of our second child!

Christmas 46-1/2 years ago*

We are alike in many ways.  This time of year has me recalling one of those ways ---- the discomfort of sitting in Church meetings each Mother's Day listening to glowing talks about perfect mothers while silently sinking lower in our respective pews reviewing our motherhood weaknesses.

This Mother's Day she and her husband will be sitting in a congregation in Colorado with their only daughter.

As I was considering this post, an old song, co-written and sung by my favorite singer of long ago came to mind.

At the bottom of this post I have included a link where you can listen to Harry Belafonte sing Turn Around from his 1959 album "Love is a Gentle Thing."  Please take a moment to listen to it.

It is a beautiful song, as is Heidi, the mother of four.

Where are you going my little one, little one

Where are you going my baby my own
Turn around and you're two, turn around and you're four
Turn around and you're a young girl going out of the door
Turn around
Turn around
Turn around and you're a young girl
goin' out of the door
Where are you going my little one, little one
Dirndls and petticoats, where have you gone
Turn around and you're tiny, turn around and you're grown
Turn around and you're a young wife with babes of your own
Turn around, Turn around
Turn around and you're a young wife with babes of your own
Where are you going my little one, little one
Where are you going my baby my own



http://letras.terra.com/harry-belafonte/1183806/


Happy Mother's Day

* P.S. Heidi and Romm share the same May birthday, exactly one year apart!

No comments: